Thursday, March 26, 2015

Reflections on the Book of Job (God or no God) The existence of good God the Problem of Evil and Suffering (2)

                                                            
 


      The book of Job  is analyzed  and commented  by most philosophers and theologians for centuries.  Job’s story  begins in heaven where Satan  convinces God that Job must be put on trial . Job is a man of high estate, robust in his prime ,  respected and affluent and virtuous  God-fearing . Satan says :

“…sure it is easy for him  to bring his offerings of propitiation. But  strip him off his wealth , destroy his family  and  cover him with diseases and you will see that both his piety and virtue will be gone. He will curse you in your face.”

    God is persuaded .God gives permission to Satan  to afflict Job    with all evil  except  taking Job’s life. Fire , tornado and destruction, loss and death of all his children follow. Nothing is left. Job sits on ashes and scratches himself  with a piece of shattered bowl. His wife despairs .She tells him to curse God as useless and worthless.

    Three gentlemen, his friends  Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar arrived. Shocked, weep with him  in silence  in his tragedy. When his friends  regain  their voices , they try to use  reasonableness , logic and prudence . They try to persuade Job  that God being good and just  would not punish him if he were innocent. God punishes only sinners.  Job bewails and curses  the day he was born. Eliphaz tries to  convince Job  that  nobody is  pure before God. Job is not comforted at all. He is  furious and  defends his innocence. He never committed any sin against God. Job  addressing God says :

      “…Why do You set your mind on man ?.
               What did I do to you a watcher of man.
           Soon I shall lie in the earth and 
             You will seek me but I shall not be. ..”

      The discussion between his three friends continues , and becomes very heated . No matter how stubbornly  Job reaffirms his innocence, they maintain that  God is just  and    distributes   justice to all according  to their deserts. Job remains  convinced of his innocence and speaks out his misery and his situation:

     “He has put my brethren  far from me,
          And my acquaintances are wholly estranged from me.
       My kinsfolk and my close friends have failed me;
           The guests in my house have forgotten me;
      My maidservants  count me as a stranger;
           I have become an alien in their eyes.
      I call to my servant, but he gives no answer;
          I must beseech him with my mouth.
      I am repulsive to my wife,
          Loathsome to the sons of my own mother.
      Even young children despise me;
          When I rise they talk against me;
       All my intimate friends abhor me,
           And those  whom I loved have turned against me.
      My bones cleave to my skin and to my flesh,
           And I have escaped by the skin of my teeth.
   Have  pity on me,  have pity on me, O you my friends,
          For the hand of God has touched me!
  Why do you , like God, pursue me?
          Why are you not satisfied with my flesh?  

      Suffering which in some form is part of every human life  can be  very useful and enlightening  because  it is the time  when  the hypocrisy and pretending  of the closest  people becomes obvious and  painfully real to the suffering sick person. One of the most realistic descriptions of  the loneliness , misery  and confusion of a suffering person is given in a classic, The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy .

      Ivan, the judge , well situated materially    and successful in his profession  tries to  correct the position of  the window veil and he slips and falls down from the ladder. This is the beginning of his sickness which finally  ends in death .  Ivan is gradually   eliminated  from life, his family and friends . He is lying  alone in  bed . The household is completely neglecting him as a human being . Everybody  looses  his/her interest in him .

      “… How it happened it is impossible to say  because it came about  step by step unnoticed  but in the third       month of Ivan’s  illness  his wife , his daughter, his son, his acquaintances, the doctors,  the servants, and above all he himself  were aware that the whole interest he had  for other people  was  whether he will soon vacate his place, and  at last  release the living from the discomfort caused by his presence and be himself released from his sufferings….”

         In the book of Job ,  God joins the discussion of the  three friends and Job. Surprisingly enough  God   condemns the arguments  of the three friends , God  stresses  that  none of them properly understood   neither  God nor Job himself  and then  God  praises  Job and calls him his good servant . By doing this God acknowledges  that Job had a  true idea of God and his  relationship to man.  

         But how does God really  answer  Job?, or  does He really answer at all?  God  asks Job where was  Job when  he was creating the universe. When he  created  the  enormous amount of living forms  of life  and  the sky and the whole structure of the universe. He points to the greatness of his creation and  the  limitations  of Job and his inability to understand.  Job  repents  and says:

       “…Behold  I am  of small account  what can I answer you , I know that you can do all things  therefore  I spoke what I did not understand , things too wonderful for me which I did not know. I had heard  of You  by hearing of my ear but now  my eyes see You therefore  I despise  myself and repent in dust and ashes. …”

       The main problem of Job’s tragedy is in the fact  that God  accepts him and praises him  in spite of the fact  that  Job really remains  in confusion . Job   vehemently defends throughout  the whole  time his innocence and goodness of his behavior and life . His conscience is clear  and  therefore the tragedy that falls suddenly on him seems to be completely unjustified. His  friends  are convinced  that  Job must have sinned and he is punished  for his sinful  actions,  but that is  precisely what Job denies  and  never admits  any guilt committed consciously against God or his fellow men. Is therefore  God a just God ? or  is this a God  who does not care  about  man’s virtue or   evil perversion ?.

        It is  seemingly very clear and obvious that in this life  the wicked prosper. People who do not care about any moral values or God and His will are quite often very successful and  prosperous in their  plans and goals. Those who follow  the dictates of morality, conscience and  worship God  very often  find  themselves in hardships, poverty , rejection and  have to face unexpected tragedies  and  suffering  beyond any endurance. They are not in any way exempt from the usual course of  destructive events . Why do the wicked prosper? Why do  the “good”  suffer  very often far more  than any others ?.

“…Man  born of a woman is of few days,
             And full of trouble.
     He comes forth like a flower, and withers;
         He flees like a shadow, and continues not…”

        Job in spite of his confusion and  suffering  nevertheless  opens his eyes and realizes  the  transcendence of God’s wisdom and power  compared with which  human calculations are simply  very often nothing but empty   only useless talk. This is why  God  praises him for his  integrity  and  his  acquired  vision  of his limitations. In sufferings  Job rises to a higher level of closeness to God  and  is accepted  and  praised by God himself.  Heroic faith is required no matter  what happens  and what unexpected evil  may suddenly  develop . Only such  unconditional faith  in God and his transcendent wisdom and love  will do  in  various phases of human life. Any other form of faith  is   usually  too weak  and easily rejected  when things do not go the human way and  desires according to human standards.

        The necessary  conditions  for such a faith to develop in human life  are :

(1)   a deep acknowledgement of one’s  creature-liness ,

(2)    acceptance  of one’s mortality  and

(3)     the  absolute transcendence of God’s  power and wisdom over human  situations  and understanding.

      There is no  solid suggestion in the book of Job  of eternal  life with God or  the assurance  of  resurrection  after the death of physical body. This is why  a far deeper light is present  in Christianity . Christ himself  is  the assurance  of final victory  over death, a victory accomplished in and through suffering. Christ’s suffering  was  redemptive  for all man  because  it was accepted freely and in loving obedience to the will of the Father.

      Every Christian knows very well that  life on earth here is not easy or necessarily pleasant  St. Paul  stressed  quite often that if our hope in Christ is  for this life only , we are the most miserable of all people.

     Christianity is  a religion  of victory over anything  whether  pleasant or not in this life ending in eternal life. The true relationship to God that is true faith  consists in the fact in any situation or sudden tragedy .

      However many so called “religious” people  take  the business like attitude to God and call it religion. Pharisee in the parable   and the tax collector (LK.18:9-14)  pray to God  that he is not born as a woman, he gives  10 % of his income to the temple and  he is not  like the other people fornicators  adulterers  as  even this tax collector .  The tax collector  did not even enter  beyond the gate of the temple  but stood outside and prayed to God :

       “Have mercy on me oh Lord I am a sinner .”

      Christ  said  that not the Pharisee  but the tax collector  was justified in the eyes of God. The fact is that  one cannot  buy heaven. Some people  go to church  light up some candle or  they go to the priests  and offer money  to buy God’s  favor.  It is like saying: I give you this or do this for you but you make  my life  easier  perhaps I could win a lottery ticket…

   This is not true religion  because  it is manipulating God for human purposes which usually have nothing to do with salvation.  The final answer to the question of suffering is given by Christ  who freely accepted  God’s will  and  in suffering,  conquered the evil  of the world. Christ’s words remain true today as ever :

     “ Who ever wants to be my disciple let him take his cross and follow me…”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment